Cinnamon and Cranberry ‘Muesli’
Recipes tend to create themselves in my kitchen and this is a perfect example. It started out as a topping for my Apple Berry Crumble but I soon realised it would make the most delicious breakfast muesli. Soaking the almonds makes them more digestible, while the extra textures of pepitas, sesame and cranberries add great chew and crunch. And that my friends, is how it’s done!
- 1 cup almonds, soaked
- 3 tablespoons tapioca or true arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- ½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup naturally sweetened cranberries, optional
- [Night Before] Place almonds in a small bowl and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and leave covered on the bench, overnight.
- [Next Day] Strain almonds and rinse well. Chop roughly and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 160oC, line a baking tray and set aside.
- Mix tapioca (or arrowroot) powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, rice malt syrup, almonds, coconut, coconut oil and vanilla essence together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Spread mixture evenly on baking tray. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned and almonds are dry.
- Once cooked and cooled, stir through the pepitas, cranberries and sesame seeds.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Like This Recipe?
Order your copy of the Love Life and Gluten Free cookbook today!