Wholefood Banana Bread
This is a great flour free recipe using whole buckwheat and whole quinoa to create the batter. The addition of dates and bananas helps create the denseness of the loaf, as well as giving a beautiful caramel sweetness and stickiness.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup buckwheat
- Dash apple cider vinegar
- 3 medium-large ripe bananas (the riper, the sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (gluten free)
- Good pinch of Himalayan crystal or Celtic sea salt
- 14 Medjool dates, Pitted
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup filtered water
- 3 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- [Night Before] Rinse quinoa and buckwheat. Place in bowl with a litre of water and a dash of apple cider vinegar. Cover and leave on bench overnight.
- [Next Day] Rinse quinoa and buckwheat thoroughly until water runs clear. Set aside to drain.
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Line large loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to food processor. Mix until almost smooth, approximately 2-3 minutes. You will notice some lumps from the buckwheat remain; this is absolutely ne.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking tin. Smooth with a knife so it is even.
- Sprinkle with coconut sugar and bake for 1-11⁄2 hours or until loaf has browned and centre is rm to touch.
- Let loaf cool for 10 minutes in tin. Remove and place on cooling rack. Leave to cool completely before slicing, otherwise it will tear.
- Serve fresh or toasted with your favourite spread.
Like This Recipe?
Order your copy of the Love Life and Gluten Free cookbook today!